See things in the present,
even if they are in the future.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance could cover medical expenses, trip cancellation or delays, lost or stolen baggage and personal liability while you’re travelling. The type of cover you need will depend on the countries you’re visiting, the activities you’ll be doing and the length of your trip. You’ll also need to state whether you want travel insurance for a single trip, multiple trips or for backpacking. Heritage will help you source the right cover at the right price. All our products are rated as 5 Star by Defaqto.

Frequently Asked Questions:

While the average annual travel insurance policy costs as little as £37 – The cost of your insurance will depend on lots of different factors. As with many insurance policies, you often get what you pay for. Heritage offer 5 star Defaqto rated policies and we focus on quality so you can be sure you are protected whilst travelling.

Picking the right travel insurance policy depends on a few things.

The most common types of policy are:

  • Single trip: This insurance will cover you for one short trip.
  • Annual multi-trip: If you’re taking more than one trip a year, then a multi-trip policy will likely be the most cost-effective. There may be a limit on the total number of days abroad you’re covered for.
  • Worldwide: Generally, travel insurance for trips within Europe are cheaper. This is largely because medical costs in countries outside the EU can be much higher.
  • Winter sports: You’ll need this for skiing, snowboarding or other winter activities that are generally a bit more dangerous and might require special provisions. They can also involve expensive specialist equipment, which this policy should cover.
  • Cruise: Covers the specific risks and activities associated with this type of holiday.
  • Couples: This is for two adults, who live at the same address and are in a relationship.
  • Family: This covers members of a family in one simple policy. Some insurance providers will also offer free cover to anyone under 18 in the family.
  • Group: This could suit you if you’re travelling with up to 10 friends or family members, if you’re all travelling from the same country.
  • Business travel: If you’re travelling for work, then business travel is tailored for your needs.

You can also find specialist insurance for:

  • Backpackers
  • Volunteers
  • Golfers

You’ll want to pick a policy with the right level of cover and inclusions for you.

For example, comprehensive policies will typically cover you for the following:

  • Loss of baggage
  • Theft
  • Cancellation
  • Medical treatment
  • Public liability
  • Emergency repatriation

Most annual and single policies cover you for between 90 and 180 days, so you should check the details if you’re planning a long break away. If you are away for longer than this, you may need a long-stay policy.

You should also be able to add extras to your policy for anything which isn’t included as standard – for example:

  1. Winter sports
  2. Extreme sports


Yes, you can still get travel insurance even if you have a medical condition, although you might need to look for a specialist provider. That’s because having certain health issues could mean that you’re more likely to need medical treatment while you’re on holiday. Unlike in the UK, you’ll be expected to pay for any care you receive and even common procedures can cost thousands of pounds.